Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Young Author's Day

I have two young authors.  Both Sandy Ridge Elementary and Marvin Ridge Middle each had the kids write their own novels. The middle school had them work on it for months, writing and re-writing and editing the document.  Justin then had to save the document into a template on an online website so it could be published and bound.  The night before it had to be submitted so it would be ready for the book celebration, I asked Justin if he thought it would be a good idea if I looked at it, since editing is something I get paid to do!  He of course said 'No, it's fine' but I took a look anyway!  When he was copying and pasting the chapters from the Word document in to the template he had pasted Chapter 5 in every chapter going forward, so chapter 6 had chapter 5's text and chapter 7 had the same text from chapter 5 all the way up to chapter 13.  Plus we need to work on the consistence.  Needless to say he and I were up making the changes late.  But boy was it worth it!!

I can't tell you how proud I am of him for the time and effort he put into his book. This was difficult for him since writing is not something he enjoys or has an interest in. His dedication said "I dedicate my book to my mom, who is always there for me and my dad who encourages me."  He is so sweet!

Ryan's class wrote a book and made edits and then got to hand write them in a bound book.  He also had a celebration which in the elementary school way means 'junk food' at the party.  But that is a whole other topic I won't go into about how I feel about my kids getting so much junky food at school. And that every celebration had to include highly processed food with food coloring added.

Anyway back to the book.  So proud of his work, he so creative and love to draw.



No comments:

Post a Comment