Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Traditions

One of the things I love most about the Christmas holidays is the traditions.  Every year we make a ginger bread house, cut-out butter cookies and grandma Sinnott's shenkely recipe, if I'm not mistaken the recipe is actually my my great-grandmother Farine's recipe (that would be grandma Sinnott's mother).  You ask what is a shenkely?  It is fried dough, similar to a butter cook recipe except there are 4 eggs in the dough and it is quite yellow.  You roll out the dough with your hands into a short tube and let the dough dry for 4 hours before deep frying.  The last 2 years Justin has been a big help with the rolling of them.  Soon he may be able to take over the tradition, well maybe not that soon!  Then you cover with powdered sugar and Enjoy! I only make them once a year.


My mom comes over to help!  Thanks Mom.